We all know that diesel engines also produce particulate matter (PM) as a byproduct of combustion. To control PM emissions, most diesel engines are equipped with a device called a diesel particulate filter or DPF for short. While DPFs are effective at controlling emissions, they do require cleaning and maintenance to function properly. The DPF captures and stores PM until it can either be burned off through a process called regeneration or the filter can be removed and cleaned thoroughly. In this article, we will explore the advantages of a clean diesel particulate filter.
- Improved Engine Performance and Fuel Efficiency: A clogged DPF can restrict exhaust flow and cause backpressure in the engine. This can lead to decreased engine performance and increased fuel consumption. Cleaning your DPF can restore proper exhaust flow and improve engine performance and fuel efficiency.
- Reduced Emissions: DPFs are designed to reduce emissions of PM, but a clogged filter can’t do its job effectively. A dirty DPF can lead to increased emissions of PM and other pollutants. Cleaning your DPF can help reduce emissions and improve air quality.
- Extended Lifespan of the DPF: DPFs can become damaged or worn out over time, leading to costly replacements. Regular cleaning of the DPF can help prolong its lifespan by removing soot and other contaminants that can cause damage to the filter.
- Avoiding Costly Replacement: DPF replacement can be an expensive repair, sometimes costing thousands of dollars. Cleaning your DPF can help avoid the need for a costly replacement by keeping the filter in good working condition and extending its life.
- Less Downtime: A clean DPF can prevent Issues that can trigger warning lights and cause the engine to go into limp mode. A clogged DPF can trigger warning lights on the dashboard and cause the engine to go into limp mode (Reduce power or shut down) which can be very dangerous in some situations. Keeping your DPF clean can prevent these issues and ensure that your engine is running properly.
In conclusion, cleaning your diesel DPF is an important aspect of maintaining your engine. Regular cleaning can improve engine performance and fuel efficiency, reduce emissions, extend the lifespan of the DPF, avoid costly replacements, and prevent issues that can trigger warning lights and cause the engine to go into limp mode and cause downtime. If you have any doubts about the right time to have your DPF cleaned, it’s always best to consult your vehicle’s owner manual or a professional mechanic.
If you have any questions about ensuring you have a clean diesel particulate filter, please contact us today by calling 800-954-8265. Our Anaheim, California technical services team is the best informed support available in the industry. You can also fill out the convenient form below and someone on our team will contact you.